Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Eve of My New Adventure!

Purpose: I am writing this blog to be as honest as possible to you, my friends and family.  I hope to write an entry once a week, hopefully.

September 26th, 2010 doesn't seem so long ago when I drove from Palatine Illinois and arrived in Los Angeles on September 29th, 2010.  I moved here in pursuit of going into film and looked for ways to get involved and I believed acting would be my way in.

I've been lucky from the start.  Early October I was lucky enough to receive an audition to work at Disneyland throwing frisbee's for money,  yes thats a thing.  It was for the show ElecTRONica at California Adventure. The job was not only amazing and fun but it allowed me to pay for rent, buy food, and pay for acting classes along the way on 4-8 hours a week.  Ridiculous, I know. The show was only supposed to last for a few weeks at most but ended up going for a year and 8 months.


Once we knew the show was coming to an end I started looking for work elsewhere a few months out from the end of the show.  I applied every chance I got.  I was to the point where I would bike around my neighborhood and apply in store.  I made an effort to apply to a few places every day.  I did get hired very part time at the Art Zone, a children's art studio (Art Zone bag to right), and as a tutor but it was just not enough for me to stay.   It was November 2012 when I was a few days away from moving back to Illinois when I received a call to work as a behaviorist at a middle school.  I of course ended up staying.     Now I had 1 full-time job and 2 part time jobs. Soon life consisted of just work, eat, and sleep.

The summer of 2013 came and I decided to work at a summer camp as a camp councilor at Camp Wasewagan. It was a fun experience but it didn't get me any closer to my goal.  At this point I was drifting away from my true purpose and what I truly wanted to do with my life.

Once the school year of 2013 arrived I was back working as a behaviorist drifting farther and farther away from my goals.  Do not get me wrong, I love working with students but the job made me feel somewhat terrible because whenever I made any progress with a student I felt like all the work I did get's torn down when the student get's home.  I realized in a phone conversation with my friend Brooke about my current state and I reflected on how my life was going which is what I exactly needed.  There I could admit that I truly wasn't happy and pinpointed why I wasn't happy, I needed a change.

My friend Aubrey Myer rode her bike down the Pacific Coast and crashed at my place for a few nights.  She told me about her adventures on her fishing boat job as a marine biologist and all that she had seen.  Then she mentioned how much they got paid and it got me thinking.  I could have an amazing adventure and on the top of that get paid?!  Yes, please.  I soon applied to the fishing boat job and I would have to get a hold of the company in January when they were back into the office, and I've been calling them every few months to check up on my application status.

My plans change drastically throughout the next few months but here is my draft for now.
Move out of my home by February(Check), store my stuff at a friends place (thanks Eileen! And if you can get pictures of all the people that end up sleeping in my bed that would be great.)(Check),  drive to Colorado to work at Copper Mountain with Brooke Etnyre (this is a wildcard plan confirmed just last week, thanks Brooke!!)(Interview Wednesday), and the rest is dependent on whether or not I am hired by the fishing boat job (hiring time is in March).  I have a few idea's but I'll keep those secret until later.  All of these plans are toward my true goal and that is to work in film.  I love film and I want to be involved in touching others through my acting, writing, or directing.  I want to make a difference in the world and I want to make film my medium in doing so.

AHH!!! So here we are, February 2nd 2014 and I leave in 4 hours to start my new adventure.  I just took a shower so I look forward to my anime hair in the morning.

I love you all and I wish you all the best.

5 comments: